Dusty Volumes

maggie and milly and molly and may went down to the beach(to play one day)

Lying - Sam Harris This is a short, tightly written, largely persuasive essay on why lying (fairly narrowly defined as intentionally misleading someone who expects honest communication from you) is a Bad Thing — including (and specifically dealing with) the classic “Do you happen to have any Jews hiding in your attic?” and “Does this make me look fat?” cases. The key “the obvious isn't always apparent” a-ha moment for me was that when we choose to hide the truth from someone, believing it to be for their benefit, we are explicitly denying them access to reality, in a stunningly arrogant infringement on their freedom.

However, I immediately followed this book with [b:Radical Honesty|551511|Radical Honesty How to Transform Your Life by Telling the Truth|Brad Blanton|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348064838s/551511.jpg|538752], and by the time I'd finished even the introduction to that, I had docked one star from my rating here. I'm still undecided whether Blanton's take is great or terrible, but either way it exposed remarkably quickly that Harris' version is actually deceptively shallow.

Black Swan Green
David Mitchell
The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary
Simon Winchester
Mis on Vabadus
Oscar Brenifier, Frédéric Rébéna
Shades of Grey
Jasper Fforde
The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements
Sam Kean